Although video conversion isn’t a new concept, it’s becoming increasingly popular as more people are using mobile devices to watch videos. Thanks to the rise in popularity of streaming apps such as Netflix and Hulu, users have come to expect seamless on-the-go viewing experiences that don’t require them to convert their videos before they can watch them.
Your app should be able to handle the different formats that its users might want to use: a wide range of resolutions, file types, and codecs. Thankfully, there are many open-source libraries out there that make this process simple enough so that even beginners can do it!
What is Video Conversion?
Video conversion is the process of converting a video from one format to another, for example from AVI to MP4. The reason for converting a video is to make it compatible with a different device or software. For example, if you have a smartphone that only supports MP4 files, but the video file you downloaded from YouTube is in AVI format, then you will need to convert it before you can play it on your phone.
Some Applications of Video Converter Technology
- Entertainment Industry: The entertainment industry ensures that movies, TV shows, and other media are available in various formats that can be played on different devices and platforms. Sometimes, media files need to be converted from MKV to MP4, a more widely supported format, to ensure compatibility with certain devices or platforms.
- Advertising Industry: The advertising industry distributes video ads in different formats for online and offline platforms. For instance, video ads are available in formats such as MP4, GIF, or HTML5 to be played on websites, social media platforms, or digital billboards.
- Social Media: Social media platforms allow videos to be shared in different formats. For instance, videos can be shared in formats such as MP4, MOV, or WMV on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.
How to Integrate Video Conversion into Your App
Here are some steps to follow when incorporating video conversion into an app:
- Choose a video conversion API or SDK that meets your requirements.
- Integrate the API or SDK into your app to access its features.
- Define the conversion settings, such as output format, resolution, andbitrate.
- Use the API or SDK to convert video files.
- Save the converted video to the desired location.
It’s important to note that video conversion can be a resource-intensive process, so it’s essential to optimize your app’s performance by using efficient video conversion algorithms and techniques.
Codecs for Video Conversion
Choosing the right codecs for video conversion depends on several factors, including the desired output format, the intended use of the video, and the available resources. Here are some general guidelines to follow when selecting codecs for video conversion:
- Consider the output format: Different output formats require different codecs. For example, if you want to convert a video for use on a DVD, you need to use MPEG-2 codec, while for web video, H.264 is a popular choice.
- Think about the intended use of the video: If the video is intended for professional use, you may need to use codecs that offer higher quality and more advanced features, while for personal use, simpler codecs may suffice.
- Take into account the available resources: Some codecs require more processing power and storage space than others. For example, uncompressed video involves a lot of storage space, while compressed video requires more processing power to decode.
- Consider compatibility: Ensure that the codecs you choose are compatible with the devices and platforms on which the video will be played.
- Test the quality of the output: Before finalizing the choice of codec, test the quality of the output video to ensure that it meets your requirements.
How Does the User Experience Look Like?
When a user uploads a video, they will be presented with the following options:
- Output format – The user can choose between MP4 and WebM formats.
- Output resolution – The user can choose to output at 720p or 1080p (if available).
- Audio codec/language/volume settings – Available if you have set up your audio options on the Settings page of your app’s dashboard.
Video conversion is a very convenient service, but it’s important to make sure that you’re using it correctly. The best way to do this is by researching and asking questions before committing yourself to anything. If you want more information about how video conversions work or why they’re important for your business, check out our blog post on the topic!